EHR Software Development: What You Need to Know
Healthcare digitization has provided tons of new technologies to simplify the consultation process, support doctors to manage healthcare data, and elevate patient-physician interactions to a whole new level. As part of this, electronic health records (EHRs) have emerged as the unique mechanism to reduce manual efforts, optimize productivity and manage revenues. We will look into the benefits of EHR systems along with some operational elements like how to build an EHR system and ultimately the EHR software development cost.
What is EHR Software Development?
Electronic health records or EHR software is a type of computer program that is used to store and manage patient medical records and information. It is a digital version of the paper-based records that healthcare providers have traditionally used to document patient care. EHR software allows healthcare providers to access and share patient information with other providers, such as hospitals, laboratories, and specialists, in a secure and efficient manner.
EHR software can be developed using a variety of programming languages and technologies, such as Java, C#, and Python. It is important for developers to have a strong understanding of these technologies, as well as an understanding of healthcare-specific requirements and best practices. EHR systems have a number of benefits for healthcare organizations, including:
- Project scope: The project’s scope is a significant aspect that might affect the price of developing EHR software. Generally speaking, a bigger, more complicated job will cost more than a smaller, easier one.
- Customization: Customization can have an impact on the price of developing EHR software. A healthcare provider’s EHR software will probably cost more if they wish to modify it to match their unique needs than if they chose an existing, off-the-shelf option.
- Enhanced security: EHR software also gives users access to a safe, centralized area where they may store and retrieve patient data. This can assist safeguard patients’ privacy and lower the possibility of mistakes or data breaches.
- Improved population health management: EHR systems can assist healthcare organizations in tracking and analyzing patterns in patient health data, which can help detect and solve public health concerns. This results in improved population health management.
- Reduced costs: Creating EHR software may assist cut expenses related to keeping and storing paper records, as well as the price of mistakes or repeated tests or procedures.
EHR Software Development Tech Stack
Now the question arises, how to develop such software. Specifically, which technologies are vital for the development of EHR software. With added customizations, you need an appropriate set of technologies. We provide an ideal tech stack for your software.
Front End Development
- Libraries: Vue.js, Next.js, React
Back End Development
- Server: Apache HTTP, NGiNX
- App Frameworks: Laravel, Angular
- Databases: My SQL, Redis, MongoDB
- Hosting: AWS, VULTR
How to Build an EHR System?
Choosing or hiring an EHR software development team is the first thing you need to think about before building an EHR system. The team must be able to handle custom development and have experience in the healthcare niche. An EHR software development team usually includes the following team members:
- 1 Front-end Developer
- 2 Backend Developers
- 2 Quality Assurance
- 1 Project Manager
- 1 UI/UX Designer
You can either hire an EHR software development company that can provide you a team or pick your own in-house team. Now, let’s move on to the first stages of development. We will start with idea validation and move to testing and prototyping.
Step 1: Idea Validation
Before starting to build EHR software, you should check its validity. After discussing this with your team and analyzing the project’s potential and probability. The trick here is to truly understand your client’s requirements. Make a list of questions about the project and ask the clients to help them get a fair idea about what they are looking for. It clears the expectations a client has from their EHR System.
Going forward, it is important to understand the pain points of the users. Like what issues the doctors and nurses are facing.
- Does it take a lot of time for them to fill out forms?
- How about communication with the patients and other doctors?
Asking such questions will get you closer to what your client wants, therefore, you will have a better understanding of how to develop EHR.
Step 2: Discovery and Prototype
Let’s move on to the discovery phase. Here, you need to develop a flowchart of the processes and procedures. It involves identifying the features of the EHR software to the development technology.
Also, figuring out the technology stack is important. EMR/EHR software developers at Newwave Solutions will help you find the best technologies for your project. Plus, we can also offer you a free 2-week trial for your project. Once the business analysis and estimation are complete, you can start to develop your special EHR project. Developing a prototype first will help you understand how the software works. Further, it will help you know how to improve yours.
Step 3: Design and Development
As your developer team follows the specifications, you should ask the team to create a raw design of what the EHR software will look like. Then, as you work within a service-oriented architecture, your team creates modules of major segments. With this method, you can streamline the development process and conduct efficient screening and performance checks. When the development of the EHR software works in this manner, scalability is also easier.
Step 4: Testing and Debugging
At this stage, your quality assurance team identifies the bugs in the software. They go through the development stages, check the design, and monitor other operations. They also understand how to build a better version of the electronic health record system. The motive is to know whether EHR software solves the need or not. Testing shall continue until and unless they have made sure that EHR software meets their goals.
Step 5: Launch and Maintenance
The quality assurance team checks the electronic health record software during the testing stage. They go through the development stages, check the design, and monitor other operations. The team also understands how to build a better version of the EHR software. They test it until and unless all goals are met with its functioning.
EHR Software Development Cost
The cost of EHR software development can vary significantly depending on a number of factors. Some of the main factors that can impact the cost of EHR software development include:
- Scope of the project: The scope of the project is an important factor that can impact the cost of EHR software development. A larger, more complex project will generally cost more than a smaller, simpler one.
- Customization: Customization can also affect the cost of EHR software development. If a healthcare provider wants to customize the EHR software to meet their specific needs, it will likely cost more than if they choose a pre-existing, off-the-shelf solution.
- Platform: The platform on which the EHR software will be developed can also impact the cost. For example, developing EHR software for a desktop platform may be less expensive than developing it for a mobile platform.
- Development team: The size and expertise of the development team can also affect the cost of EHR software development. A larger team with more specialized skills may be more expensive than a smaller, less specialized team.
- Location: The location of the development team can also impact the cost of EHR software development. Teams located in areas with a higher cost of living may charge more for their services than teams located in areas with a lower cost of living.
It is difficult to estimate the exact cost of EHR software development, as it will depend on the specific needs and requirements of each healthcare provider. However, it is generally advisable for healthcare providers to budget for a significant investment when considering EHR software development, as it is an important tool that can greatly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their healthcare services.
The development of an electronic health record (EHR) software system is a complex and multifaceted process that requires careful planning, technical expertise, and a thorough understanding of the needs and requirements of healthcare providers and patients.
By following best practices and using the right tools and technologies, it is possible to create an EHR software system that is intuitive, user-friendly, and capable of meeting the unique needs of different healthcare organizations. However, it is important to remember that EHR software development is an ongoing process and requires regular updates, maintenance, and support to ensure that it remains effective and efficient over time.
Successful development of an EHR software system can greatly improve the efficiency, accuracy, and quality of healthcare delivery for both providers and patients. Top EHR software development company in Vietnam like Newwave Solutions can ensure to deliver you the best EHR software in time and with a reasonable price and